The Interest Group on Algorithmic Foundations of Information Technology (IGAFIT) was founded in early 2014. Its main goals are:
- integrating the European algorithms community,
- identifying key research challenges and themes where algorithms play fundamental role,
- pioneering new methods and approaches to dealing with modern algorithmic challenges,
- coordinating the algorithms community in its efforts to apply for EU funding,
- providing a forum for scientific exchange of European researchers in algorithms.
The formal inception of the group has occurred at the 1st European Meeting on Algorithmic Challenges of Big Data (ACBD 2014) in May 2014.
A core initiative of IGAFIT has been to establish a new international Highlight of Algorithm conference (HALG):
- HALG 2016 in Paris,
- HALG 2017 in Berlin,
- HALG 2018 in Amsterdam,
- HALG 2019 in Copenhagen,
- HALG 2020 (virtually) in Zürich,
- HALG 2021 (virtually) in London.
Another core initiative of IGAFIT has been to establish a new workshop for algorithms postdocs in Europe (AlgPiE by IGAFIT):
- the inaugural 1st IGAFIT Workshop for Algorithms Postdocs in Europe (AlgPiE by IGAFIT) took place in Będlewo Palace, Poland, October 14 – 18, 2019, and
- the 2nd AlgPiE by IGAFIT will take place in Będlewo, August 21 – 26, 2022.
The newest IGAFIT initiative is the IGAFIT Algorithmic Colloquium, which will start with the first talk on October 1, 2020.